Friday, April 26, 2013

Sage advice

One wonderful tidbit of wisdom I heard at the WI conference was this:

 "Dancers dance, teachers teach, writers write." 

In other words, if you're going to be a writer, you need to write. Published or unpublished, you need to write. Daily. Yeah, there's that. Daily. Ugh. Trust me, if anyone has any right to say they're too busy to write, I think I qualify. Honestly, the writing daily thing is something I have fought and fought against for so long. I, like anyone, can say I just don't have the time to write. However, another wonderful, affirming statement I heard at the conference was that on the days you write, you feel good...even if the writing isn't great. And on the days you don't write, you feel crappy. I couldn't believe it when I heard that! Someone else actually "got" it. They knew what it was like. Affirmation is a wonderful thing.

SO...Do I write every day? Uh. No. Not yet. :) I do, however, have a renewed sense of commitment and resolve. I have, since returning from the conference, written more than I did before I went. It's been good. I was able to do quite a bit of revision on my second children's picture book, and I finished my third! I am now actively working on finding a critique group. I trust that the LORD will guide and provide just the right one. I hope you're encouraged as I am. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment