Friday, May 17, 2013

Favorites

What are your favorite books? Why do you like them? What is it about a book that makes you pick it up in the first place?

Those are questions I've pondered as I seek to get published. I want to incorporate and emulate my favorite books and authors. I simply adore Jez Alborough and Arnold Lobel books. Their illustrations are captivating and delightful. When it comes to children's picture books, I truly believe that the writing and illustrations must be harmonious. In my opinion, it's what makes the book. That's the reason I choose illustrator Ann Panning for my book Wordilicious.

Speaking of wonderful books with the perfect blend of word and art, here is a list of just a few of my favorite children's books: (Certainly not all-inclusive!)

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
Dibble and Dabble by Dave Saunders
Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
Imogene's Antlers by David Small
It's the Bear! by Jez Alborough
Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
Looking for a Moose by Phyllis Root
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
One Dog Canoe by Mary Casanova
Poppleton by Cynthia Rylant
There's a Mouse About the House! by Richard Fowler

I have read hundreds, probably a thousand-plus, books over the years with our seven children. One of the hallmarks of a good book, in my opinion, is whether you read it over and over again. A good book is one that I will purchase. A good book is one that moves the reader to either smile, laugh, cry, sigh, or simply feel good after closing the cover. One of the greatest pleasures I have as an author is seeing someone smile or laugh aloud when they read my books. That's why I write. I want to make people feel what I feel when I write them. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment