Thursday, May 30, 2013

Finding a groove

Sometimes writing is like squeezing blood out of a turnip, isn't it? The creative juices just aren't flowing, so what do you do? I discovered something about myself while on vacation over the recent Memorial Weekend. I wasn't in my usual writing spot, didn't have my typical routine to follow, and was experiencing constant interruptions. What I learned was that if it ain't working, it ain't working. Well, how's that for enlightening?

After a day gone bust with the next evening quickly following suit, it occurred to me that I really didn't care to repeat the same mistake. I packed up, went to the bedroom and shut the door. I sat back on a few pillows and let the glare of my laptop screen light up the dark. Aaahhh. A bit of familiarity and routine. I think the turnip shed a drop of blood.

Have you gotten any insights into what squeezes you best? What are some of your personal writing habits that get the creative juices flowing? I'd love to hear them! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment