Friday, May 10, 2013

Inspiration

What gives you inspiration to write? For me, obviously, it's my children. There is no lack of imagination in our house with this many people. I love to hear the broad range of conversation that goes on throughout our homeschooling day. For years my husband and I have kept notebooks full of the funny things our kids have said. It's incredibly funny to look back on them. I find myself bombarded with all sorts of ideas after reading those notebooks.

One of the suggestions I heard at a writing workshop was to implement writing prompts. Let's face it, the ink in the well is bound to run low at some time or another. A writing prompt such as a fifteen minute sensory, timeline, or point of view exercise can be just the thing to prime the pump and get the ink flowing.

A sensory exercise is simply listing the five senses and jotting down one specific, everyday childhood sense impression for each sense. The point isn't to write well even. It's to w.r.i.t.e. The same goes for making a timeline of your own childhood or your children's or your grandchild's. A point of view exercise is to focus on one particular behavior that drives you crazy and describe it from your perspective.

Honestly, I wasn't too keen on the idea of a writing prompt, but I gave it a try at the workshop. I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was! I guess it's similar to what I'm always telling my children. You can't say you don't like ____(particular type of food) if you haven't tried it. So go ahead. Take a bite. You may just find ink running down your chin.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment