Friday, September 20, 2013

A real gusher?





I love both of these quotes! They seem quite contradictory, right? But they're really not. I think the expectation is to turn on the faucet of writing and see an instant, gushing flow of sparkling fresh ink when, in reality, what comes out is something much slower, quieter, and duller.

Yet we all want thrilling and entertaining, right? But what we don't realize is that the nature of thrilling and exciting is that it is also short-lived. It simply isn't sustainable over the long haul. A gusher is a powerful element, but I want a lasting spring. I appreciate the exciting and rushing waters, but, honestly, I can't take too much of it. It's noisy, exhausting, and eventually loses it's awe. Instead, I'm working at keeping the writing faucet flowing steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment