Friday, October 18, 2013

Why do I write?



I was watching the 2012 GLS DVD this week featuring Patrick Lencioni's session titled, "The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else." He stated that organizations must answer six critical questions, and "the absence of answering any of those can destroy clarity in our organizations."

The first of the six questions was, "Why do we exist?" Though the question was posed within the scope of leadership, it holds merit for every day life. This first question for me morphed into, "Why do I write?" After chuckling and thinking "That's like asking me why do I breathe," I gave it more lengthy thought.

There is a bit of truth to my facetious answer, however. I write because I have to. It's a need for me. It's how I release pressure, stress, and tension. It's how I express joy and work out confusion and perplexing questions. Writing clarifies things for me. It is how I communicate.

Truth be told, though, my motive for writing is pretty selfish. I don't necessary write for other people, but I certainly enjoy sharing what I write. However, I also acknowledge that whatever talent I have is from God. He has, in fact, given each of His children at least one unique and special gift. I believe, too, that sharing these gifts with others glorifies Him. Have you discovered your gift? Are you using it? Are you developing it?

I've received some wonderful comments on my writing, but they're often followed by a statement like: "But I'm not good at  __________." (You fill in the blank.) Gifts aren't to be compared. They are to be shared. Are you sharing your gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment