Friday, November 22, 2013

If I had a penny


If I had a penny for every time I sat down and started to write a post this week, I swear I could buy a plane ticket to St. Thomas. Isn't this picture just yummy?! For us Minnesotans who watched it snow yesterday afternoon, it pretty much says, "Na-na-na boo-boo!"

However, we Minnesotans are a hardy bunch. We'll pile on the layers, exhale a frosty breath, and get down to it. Fighting winter is useless. Instead, we will find the beauty in each snow flake, warm up the water for a cup of hot chocolate, and give thanks for thermal underwear. As for me, I've always said you can only take off so much(clothes), but you can put on layer upon layer!

I'm ready for the sparkle of white flakes and the silent accumulation of frozen vapor that blankets our area. I love it because it forces me to slow down. It's forceful presence, at times, triumphs over agendas and busy calendars. There's nothing like slowing down - especially after the last two weeks where it seemed as if everything rushed in at once.

In the snowball effect of challenges the last couple weeks, I am all too happy for a respite. The LORD knows what I need before I do, and as the upcoming holidays loom I pray that I would take advantage of the soon-to-be season of advent. It is a time to do exactly the opposite of what the world tells us. (Rush, rush)  It is a time to be still and anticipate anew God's gift of a savior. Thanksgiving isn't gearing up for the holidays. It's savoring the flavor of Christ, the aroma of His sacrifice. What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving, but by giving thanks for Emmanuel, God with us; Jesus. Got a few pennies? Count them one by one. Blessings to you and yours.

My favorite advent books:
Jotham's Journey - One of four advent books by Arnold Ytreeide. I recommend these books for older children. (Age 7+)
Good News of Great Joy by John Piper (free ebook)

P.S. - As you celebrate Thanksgiving and look forward to the greatest gift anyone could receive, I'd love for you to share your favorite advent book title with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment