Friday, November 8, 2013

Type A?!

This week I downloaded and began reading Randy and Nanci Alcorn's book Help for Women Under Stress: preserving your sanity. I had gotten it for free and the subtitle is what grabbed my attention. I'd like to preserve my sanity, yes sir. I already know I'm under stress. That part isn't hard to figure out. It's the preserving of my sanity that needs a little help these days.

I was only into chapter two when I had a sudden revelation. I'm what they call a "Type A" personality. Seriously. Wow! It was like the blinders had been removed. For an educated girl, I can be quite dense at times. (Now for those friends and family members who have fallen and can't get up over this epiphany of mine, I'm glad I could provide your entertainment for the day.) How is it that we never see ourselves as others see us? 

It's not that I've been in denial for the past forty *ahem* some years. Truly, I believe it's because I see myself as I *want* to be, not as I am. I envy those people who take things in stride, who remain calm when the plan unexpectedly changes. They don't get all bent out of shape or vent their frustration, nor do they rush about yelling, "Hurry up!" and "Let's go already!" They don't kill themselves on Mondays trying to do everything on the to-do list. They readily give grace to others and keep their expectations low. I so want to be that person!

There is a positive side to the Type A tendencies, however. It's these traits that get things done, that motivate others, and that lead to new, creative ways of doing things. They provide the energy and spark needed to accomplish tasks. The trick, however, is to find balance and temper the harsh, abrasive nature of those traits. Without tempering and gentleness, relationships suffer and life is way more stressful than it needs to be.

I've learned a lot from those Type B personalities, but have also realized that I am exactly who God created me to be. Instead of fighting against it, I am learning to embrace it and, at the same time, acknowledge that there is always room for improvement, always room to be more like Christ. I love what pastor and author Max Lucado says:
“God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way." 
Stress may be a given in this world, but there is hope in knowing that, with God's help, we can change the way we react to it. When we are weary we can pray to the One who never changes, who never slumbers nor sleeps, and who loves us beyond measure.



No comments:

Post a Comment