Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year's Resolutions? Uh-uh.

I don't do New Year's resolutions, and, out of curiosity, I did a web search (Ok - "Googled") and found this bit of interesting information. It would appear, by this, that I am part of the 38% of Americans who never make New Year's resolutions. (I always liked to be different, so maybe that explains it.) However, it's more likely due to the fact that only 8% of people actually achieve their resolutions. Good intentions, for me, have never been reason enough to do (or not do) something. Furthermore, I tend to be a realist. I know myself all too well and don't like to set myself up for failure.

Another reason I don't do resolutions is because I think we typically make them in our own strength. We are well-intended, to be sure, but I believe the reason for failure comes because we have relied on our own strength rather than God's. I believe motivation has to be internal. Success comes when the motivating factor doesn't depend on outside circumstances or strength. I don't believe it has to do with how much determination or will-power one has or doesn't have, either. For me, it comes down to conviction of the Holy Spirit and reliance upon God. Two verses come to mind when I think of New Year's resolutions: Col. 3:17 "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord..." and Zechariah 4:6 " ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord..." 

New Year's resolutions aren't a bad thing. In fact, most are quite noble. But I want my focus every day of the year to be on what's necessary, which is loving God and obeying Christ. (Luke 10:38-42) When I do that, then I can rest in knowing that those resolutions will be achieved through His strength and will. May this new year of 2014 be blessed with an ever-increasing knowledge of Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment