Friday, June 27, 2014

All work and no play...

This writing thing may be natural, but that doesn't mean it comes easily. It's been a trying week, and I came to the realization that I not only needed a break, but had sadly neglected an important aspect of writing lately. As a result, I was turning into Jack. You know, the boy who's all work and no play and therefore makes for a very dull character? Playtime for this writer means reading.

Sad to say, it's been far too long since I picked up a fiction book and lost myself between it's pages. Books on grief and the craft of writing have been the focus of my attention for the past (almost) three years. To add some spark back into the routine, I went to the library in search of something different. Karen Kingsbury has always been a favorite author of mine, and it just so happened that, as I walked by the "New Additions" shelf, my eye caught her book titled Fifteen Minutes. I thrust the likes of Mrs. Kingbury's work alongside my younger boys' choices of Cynthia Rylant, Mo Willems, and Rob Scotton inside my book bag and checked out.

I had almost forgotten what it was like to slip into the world of fiction as a reader. I feel a bit like Lucy from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as she steps out of the wardrobe and finds herself presently at the lamp post in the world of Narnia, full of wonder and amazement. It's magical and refreshing. As with any good book, time ceases to exist while reading. Yet the demands of ordinary household duties bang loudly and consistently on the closet door in which they were shoved upon the opening of the book's cover. It's a herculean balancing act, I tell you, and one in which I've never been very successful at!

The good news, however, is that next week is vacation. It means I will have hours to spend on reading. It is much anticipated. It's also a time when I'm very thankful, indeed, for my Kindle. I get to carry oodles and oodles of books and not worry a bit about having enough room for them. Another bonus is that I've gotten most of my ebooks for free through the following website:  http://www.dccebooks.com/

I enjoy writing, but I also enjoy the fun of a good book. I'd love to hear what's on your summer reading list, so please leave me a comment with your current book title!

No comments:

Post a Comment