Friday, August 15, 2014

Blessing or curse?


Remember the '80's anti-drug television commercial that featured a man cracking an egg into a frying pan? In short, it said that by doing drugs, you fry your brain.

Now, I'm not doing drugs, I promise. But my brain feels fried right now. Words are my drug. They swirl endlessly around in my brain. However, there are times when I wish I could just shut them off. They interrupt my sleep. They distract me from the to-do list. They vie for my attention like a toddler pulling on my sleeve.

If only they acted in an orderly fashion. Instead, they leave my brain feeling scrambled. For someone who loves words, there are times I'm left shaking my head wondering if I've been blessed or cursed. However, it's not the words I lack. It's the order. I crave order. I need order. Even now, as I write this post, I do probably the "worst" thing a writer can do. That is, edit as I write. Instead, I should just write. Write. Then edit later

Because I edit as I write, it takes an inordinate amount of time. Add to the fact that it's virtually impossible for me to write with any type of noise in the background, and I've got a really good set up for scrambled thoughts. Just like the commercial I mentioned earlier. So what of this love of words that becomes an undeniable urge that requires expression? Is it a blessing or a curse?

Well, when the "drugs" are taken properly and do what they're supposed to do, they are a blessing. When the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart are pleasing to the LORD (Ps. 19:14), it is a blessing. Proverbs 25:11 also says, "Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances." I pray that my writing is a blessing to others and that God would "order" them as He sees fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment