Friday, September 19, 2014

A bowl of lemons

I want to attend a writing conference that's coming up in just three weeks, but the finances simply aren't there. I'm bummed, but I am going to focus, instead, on spending my time wisely at home. I plan to block out "conference day" and do some reading and writing here (or at the library). It's possible, thanks to my amazing and supportive husband and some pretty incredible, independent, and capable kids, too!

I'm not fond of the adage, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." But, in this case, I am making the best of it. It's not what I'd prefer, but it is what it is. I think it shows a parallel to writing, really. Only in the writing world, I believe it's what they call "rough drafts." Good writing doesn't just miraculously happen, even if there is talent. (There are a few geniuses, but it's rare.) It takes a bit of squeezing, shaking every drop of creative juice from the lemon. It's a tedious process, but one that's worth the effort.

As much as I'd like to attend the writing conference, I'll take my bowl of lemons, admire them for the beautiful, bright color they are, and then squeeze what I can from each one. They may be tart, but with enough sugar I'll make 'em sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment