Friday, November 7, 2014

If only I could be dramatic

After last month's critique group meeting, I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed. Actually, no. Stuck. Well, overwhelmed and stuck. It's discouraging and frustrating. The problem isn't a lack of ideas or writing material. It's a lack of climax or conflict in my writing. My picture book manuscripts have gotten favorable feedback, but the constructive criticism is the same. There is no drama, no problem to solve, no crescendo in the middle. Argh! Yet, my word count is good, my writing engaging, and the story line interesting. So what's a writer to do?

This, alas, is what I am still wondering. I can't seem to find my way. But rather than bang my head on the keyboard, I am pulling out reading material. I have several resource books on writing that I have yet to finish reading. I have learned much in the last three years, but it's only a drop in the bucket, really. The best thing I can do is simply keep learning, keep reading, and keep writing. It doesn't seem very exciting, but I'm o.k. with that. Writing isn't always exciting, but it's always personally rewarding, especially if one perseveres. My new mantra:




No comments:

Post a Comment