Saturday, January 17, 2015

Seasons

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens..." I'm a busy mom. As are all moms. In fact, the word mom is synonymous with the word busy. What's important as a mom, however, is knowing when you're too busy. I am too busy.

The past several months, I've realized I can't maintain this pace any longer. In addition to my writing blog, I have a grief blog, a private blog, a FB page, and a message board website that I update weekly. In addition to these, I took on the task of putting out our local Compassionate Friends quarterly newsletter. Throw in homeschooling the five youngest kids and picking up the second oldest from her PSEO classes daily, as well as transporting one student to and from the public school for band class three days a week, then add a dash of doctor, dentist, physical therapy, and orthodontist appointments, and you've got one busy mother. And that's not even including the evening activities!

Something has to change because, as Einstein defined it, insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I want to give so much more to my writing blog, but feel that I fall short every week. I'm tired of feeling guilty. I want to write something of substance, but this crazy busy season of my life only reminds me that I have perhaps expected too much of myself for right now. Additionally, I've been frustrated because I haven't worked on my picture book manuscripts in months. I need what author Dr. Richard Swenson calls margin.

So how do I create margin? I believe I need to cut back on my blogs, though it seems counter-productive. After all, it's still writing. However, I'm becoming more and more convinced that that's what I need to do. I can't move forward with manuscript submissions until my manuscripts are ready. And they're not ready because I have no margin. I hate cutting back, too, because I feel like a failure, like I've given up. Though I know that's not the truth, it still stinks.

The bright side of all this, though, is that I know it is for a season. I believe the LORD is telling me I need to slow down, to stop comparing myself with other writers, and to leave my work to His timing. I believe He's telling me to trust Him in all things, especially in the busy season I am currently experiencing. I have so much yet to learn and have really only scratched the surface. I need to do more reading and studying of the writing craft. I don't want to post merely for the sake of keeping a schedule. So all this to say that I will be posting monthly from now on. How's the margin in your life, dear readers? Is God calling you to re-focus, to slow down? If so, take heart. With His help, we will be better for it. There is a season.


No comments:

Post a Comment