Friday, September 18, 2015

They say


Writers often hear the phrase, "Write what you know." Well, I've been doing plenty of that lately. I know grief. I know it well. Grief entered like a thief, unwanted and without warning, the day my 16yo. died. I wanted to write children's picture books and a novel. Instead, I am writing a quarterly newsletter for The Compassionate Friends and maintaining the Grieving With Hope Facebook page weekly.

It certainly wasn't the kind of writing I had in mind. However, this writing journey grew wings when my son was made perfect in heaven. I have written several picture books and started a novel, but any attempts at getting them completed and published have stalled. I find myself frustrated because of this. I don't want to write what I know. I didn't want grief to be my platform. Yet, there is solace in writing about it, and even greater joy in knowing that others have been comforted by reading the newsletter and FB page.

I sense God telling me to be patient, that in time, it will all bear fruit. If I have learned anything about writers, they are persistent. (My mother preferred to use the word stubborn.) I've met many writers the last four years, and I am greatly encouraged to know that I am not alone in the struggle. The frustrations I'm facing are not unique. What I love most is the honesty they share regarding their own journeys. Writers are some of the most encouraging people I know. They cheer you on. They rejoice with you. They understand disappointment, and they know what it means to fail. I love their transparency.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the writing industry and working on developing my craft. While I may not be writing exactly what I wanted to be writing, I know there is purpose in it. I know that it is not wasted. It may not be the platform I wanted, but if God is glorified, then I will write willingly, without reservation. I know there is truth to the saying, "Write what you know," because it is in writing what you know that you impact others most.

'Let us pick up our books and pens - they are our most powerful weapons' - Malala Yousafzai



No comments:

Post a Comment