Saturday, March 11, 2017

Giving up

I've been wondering lately if the writing world is a bit like surfing the 'net. Let me explain. You know how you start out on the internet at a particular website, but before you know it you're at a completely different site, somewhere totally unrelated to where you began?

Yeah.

That's what I mean. Writers may start a project at a particular spot, but end up writing something completely different than what they began. I suspect, however, it really isn't all that unusual, this "meandering."

I think we want to identify with a particular genre or project because it lends security. It breeds familiarity and, writing is, at times, a scary beast. We long for the familiar, the comfortable. Insecurity, or doubt, is a writer's middle name.

Writing that takes a detour, I don't think, is warmly welcomed. I'm not sure about other writers, but I resist when my "baby" tries to crawl into areas I don't want him to go. Do you get what I'm saying? Can any of you relate?

Part of growing as a writer, however, is stepping into the unknown, braving areas you wouldn't normally visit, areas you may not be particularly fond of. Growth in writing, though painful, is a good thing. In fact, it's necessary. Stretching oneself as a writer is how we become better at our craft. Though it may leave us feeling as if we want to give up, we must remember that most worthy endeavors take painstaking effort. In other words, they often require, as they say, "blood, sweat, and tears."

Writer friends, don't be discouraged when your writing takes an unexpected turn. Don't give up. Persevere and you will reap the reward of accomplishment. Your work-in-progress may not go in the direction you thought it would, but remember the greater goal: good writing. You can be proud of your writing no matter where it ends up. Writing is unpredictable, but fret not. You're up to the task, writing friend!


2 comments:

  1. Great post!

    And by the way, what a great new photograph of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (Photo credit goes to my daughter who is a photographer.)

      Delete